Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Quiet times

I find myself in a period of relative photographic non-productivity. This happens from time to time. I just don't have the motivation to go out and shoot.

I think this is happening for a number of reasons. Mainly because one of my main motivators for shooting was for the purpose of using my new gear and testing the capabilities of the camera and lenses, as well as experimenting with different styles of shooting. Well, now that I am thouroughly familiar with the gear, the only remaining reasons to shoot are to create snapshots of friends, family and holidays for the sake of memories, or to create photographs for the sake of art.

Snapshots are 'easy'. Great fun but not really a good outlet for creativity. Making art is a more challenging task which involves a form of thought I am not really used to doing... questions of 'what is art?', 'why do I want to create it?.. and for whom?', 'what do I shoot?'. I tend to think logically, but this tends to stop me dead in my tracks. Got a lot happening in my life at the moment, but when things settle, I plan to set up a couple of interesting projects to complete... that should get me going again.

Another reason is because I am waiting for new gear. A Canon EOS 5D, and a new super PC. Suddenly what I have is not good enough anymore... yep, I've fallen for that trap again a little too easily and one too many times. Oh well, it's all in the name of fun.